For the past year or so, I have been reading through this book with the Men’s leadership team at The Harbor. Each time we meet, we read one of the thirty chapters written by the preeminent pastor of our time, John Piper. These chapters comprise Piper’s passionate plea to pastors and church leaders addressing a wide variety of pastoral issues and concerns. The readings have led to great discussions amongst the leadership team and helpful reminders to keep us focused in the right direction as we shepherd the flock God has entrusted us with. In chapter is typical of pastor Piper’s theology; God-centered and Christ exalting.
Personally, the most impactful of these chapters were;
4. Brothers, Live and Preach Justification by Faith
8. Brothers, Let us Pray
9. Brothers, Beware of Sacred Substitutes
14. Brothers, Show Your People Why God Inspired Hard Texts
16. Brothers, We Must Feel the Truth of Hell
22. Brothers, Tell Them Copper Will Do
25. Brothers, Give Them God’s Passion for Missions
If you are a pastor or lay leader in the church, this should be on your ‘must read’ list.