As I read Humility: True Greatness by C. J. Mahaney I thought it would be good for you.
Striking Thoughts as I read the book: I will try and mark all the page numbers in future posts but I was reading this book at a friend’s house and didn’t think to write them down as I was taking notes.
*pg 63. here’s a scary thought. It’s possible to admire humility while remaining proud ourselves.
*In every step of our Christian growth and maturity, and throughout every aspect of our Christian obedience and service, our greatest foe is pride and our greatest ally is humility.
*The average peson speaks 25000 words a day. Are yours more characterized by giving grace or corrupt speech?
*If you would be humble you must invite and purse correction.
*Application Suggestions offered by C. J. Mahaney for pursuing,not achieving, humility.
*How to Weaken Pride and Cultivate Humility
A list of suggestions
1. Reflect on the wonder of the cross of Christ.
As Each Day begins
2. Begin your day by acknowledging your dependence upon God and your need for God.
3. Begin your day expressing gratefulness to God.
4. Practice the spiritual disciplines – prayer, study of God’s Word, worship. Do this consistently each day and at the day’s outset, if possible.
5. Seize your commute time to memorize and meditate on Scripture.
6. Cast your cares upon Him, for he cares for you.
As Each Day Ends:
7. At the end of the day, transfer the glory to God.
8. Before going to sleep, reeve this gift of sleep from God and acknowledge His purposes for sleep.
For special purpose.
9. Study the attributes of God
10. Study the doctrines of Grace
11. Study the doctrine of sin
12. Play golf as much as possible.
13. Laugh often and laugh often at yourself.
Throughout Your days and weeks:
14. Identify evidences of grace in others
15. Encourage and serve others each and every day
16. Invite and purse correction
17. Respond humbly to trails.
My book reviews are going to be more like book notes and potential applications.
I would give it 4 stars but definitely a good read if you are battling pride and striving to pursue humility.
I must admit that I also know that applying Mahaney’s principles for pursuing humility would be truly great for me as well.